Sunday 10 November 2013

Dennis Brown - Should I

This week I blogged about the Drifter riddim. Realising that I would be skipping many important versions, I still took the opportunity to list a few of my favourite cuts. However when going through this thread on Blood & Fire's forum this afternoon, I realised that I had missed out on one of Dennis Brown's finest songs.

Should I was recorded in 1978 and released on a Joe Gibbs 7". In the UK, it saw release on Laser Records with another love song Cassandra on the B-side.

Dennis is known for his song-writing talents and here he finds himself questioning a relationship. One thing that particularly strikes me in this song is the extent to which he stretches his voice, singing as far as his chords will go.

I won't come down on you,
With lighting, brimstone or fire.
For in my heart that isn't,
What I require.

I was surprised to see that this has been labeled as lovers rock on Discogs as it was recorded at Joe Gibbs, and his instrumentals tend to have a militant side to them -for example the bassline is given a bigger punch than other producers' cuts to the riddim.

Also, it has been through a proper remake with added piano and a totally different horns section than the melody which is normally heard on the drifter. However the year in which this was released and the depth of the lyrics can justify this.







No comments:

Post a Comment